First Love

He was young and stupid. She was young and beautiful. From the very first day that he met her, he thought only of her. She didn’t even know he existed. He thought she had the sweetest smile in the whole wide world. She thought nothing. He didn’t dare to speak to her. She didn’t care to speak to him.

With a single purpose in his life, he set out to be somebody. He toiled day and night, he lost all his friends, he lost all contact with humanity, he lost the last few human traits that he had. And then one day, more machine than human, he emerged victorious. In one single stroke, with one single achievement, he proved his worth to all around him. They spoke highly of him, but it all felt very empty. He brushed them aside, and did one last thing. He spoke to her.

He did not want to feel rejected.

She was young and beautiful. She knew who he was. She smiled. And she spoke to him.

She had the sweetest smile in the whole wide world. She talked about his accomplishments, she talked about her boyfriends, she talked about their schooldays, she talked about her present life. He just stood and stared.

He thought nothing. He didn’t care to speak.

He felt dejected.

So he returned to his room and pulled out a great dusty book, and began to read.

Share:

This entry was posted in Guest and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to First Love

1. That was simply marvelous…the simplicity of the entire prose is really the best…keep it going bro….really enjoyed it

2. Saksham says:

Shouldn’t the Title be First Crush/infatuation?

3. Soumendra says:

I resent the way our popular culture is discrediting certain words. The words “crush” and “infatuation” have completely different meanings and a careful examination of their meanings renders “infatuation” inappropriete for this story.

The dictionaries define “crush” as a brief but strong feeling of love (of the eight major dictionaries I googled, only two differed. One of them turned out to be some kind of reference book, the other was wiktionary (which lists two definitions. The first one is the one I outlined, the second one is what I deem as the corruption of the english language by the popular movie culture.). Crush may be deemed as another form of love (or probably as one of the possible beginnings of love), and their is no need to condemn it for its inherent uncertainty and brevity of time.

@Saksham
    Read “The nightingale and the rose” by Oscar Wilde.

4. Saksham says:

ah
    well, The way i see it, when its Love(between 2 human beings….in its deep/ pure meaning), there has to be interaction and love feelings from Both Sides.
    Love has its own Heaven and Hell. In The story only dejection part is apparent. They didn’t Share anything… How can it be love?
    Thats why i called it a Crush (Mayb, a bit long lived one, but its one sided).

As for the Language corruption thing, what i feel is that the only purpose of language is to communicate and as and when humanity mature /changes, meanings of words will also take up new forms.

@Soumendra I have read the Poem. I think the word “Love” has been way too much diluted.

5. Sucharit Sarkar says:

Firstly, I mean no disrespect to anyone. I am not here to start a dipute, merely to end one. I realise that everyone has a right to have an opinion (unless of course you are a Gaul in ancient Rome, a black in pre-civil war US, a woman in pre-1900 world, a Jew in 1940 Germany or a Hindu in Pakistan), and I respect the right.

Why did you name your piece “First Love”?
    -Because I could.

Why not First Crush/Infatuation?
    -Because “First Love” is a more beautiful title than either of the other two, and I have always chosen beauty over truth. I am a mathematician, not a physicist.

Do you really think the emotions in the story represent “love”?
    -Yes, I do. I have never been in love, at least to the best of my knowledge, so I realise I am really not the best person to talk about the subject. Surely people like AS or SB who fall in and out of “love” more frequently than we change our cabinet, are better people to talk about the subject.
    But I too have some notion of what love is, based completely on many books that I have read, and some movies that I have seen (note, not all movies, two teenagers making out in a car in a ship doesn’t qualify as love).
    And based on that notion of love, many people I know have never fallen in love. In fact most people I know have never fallen in love. Rather all the people I know have never fallen in love. But the central character in this piece, did.
    Sydney Carton was a lover. Not someone with just a crush for Lucie Manette.

@Oscar Wilde
    “Nightingale and the rose” is really brilliant, but it is not a poem, though in all fairness it should be considered as one.

6. Saksham says:

True@ “Nightingale and the rose” -Oscar Wilde

err i had read is many years ago and remembered the content of it, but forgot abt the form, Pardon my Ignorance.

Also, i was just putting forward my opinion… i don’t intend to offended or degrade your beautiful piece of witting.

Also, i still feel, there has to be a deep involvement and exchange of emotions for me to call a relationship “love”

Regards

7. Neeraja says:

I think it is a very fitting title, but again, that’s only my opinion.

@Saksham
    Love is a necessity in every relationship but the converse need not be true. I mean, I think that one can fall in love without “exchange of emotions”.

@Sucharit
    This is good. Now start working on ‘Three men…’
    This is not the right place to discuss this but anyway, AS and SB don’t keep falling in love. They are just people who need someone around them. Someone who is more than a friend.

8. Akash Dongre says:

Great work!!!
    Hi Anshul, how are you dude?? Great blog!! Great design..and great content.

Akash

9. 'AS' says:

@ Neeraja
    What about NS , SNair, SSinha… were they in love(or ‘love’ for that matter)? I personally know your concept of love. Anyways its good that we are ending the discussion on this topic. Best of luck with you concept(s) and justification(s).

@Sucharit

“a woman in pre-1900 world” is that you Sucharit? If yes then, you seem to have ‘evolved’. And by the way who told you that truth is not beautiful? Nevertheless you have the right(full right) to name your poem and indeed the title is beautiful (w.r.t.u) and might be second(or even third for that matter) w.r.t.someone else. Try to respect others’ ideas Su.

10. Neeraja says:

how did I miss this!

@’AS’
    You personally know my concept of love?
    WOW! good for you :)

11. Leslie Cofer says:

found your site on del.icio.us today and really liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some more later ..

12. Chakrapanye says:

ohh…nice post but really?/? :P

13. SANKHADEEP SHOME says:

quite a soul-stirring piece this one…a vivid exposition of the fact that accomplishments and recognition irreparably changes one’s perception of life and its priorities but fails to satiate the void that lurks deep within…the prose is pretty fluid and lucid…bordering on the analytical…as is expected from a mathematician of course :)