Why I don’t like Anna Hazare…

Simply put, he is using the methods Gandhi used to subvert an oppressive imperialistic regime, to subvert a government I elected. I don’t like that.

I want corruption fixed as much as the next person but why should my vote not count? Why are people who don’t represent me trying to get in the way of how I am being governed?

Share:

Anshul

Anshul is a geek and an entrepreneur. He loves math, coding and all things good.
This entry was posted in Opinions, Politics and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Why I don’t like Anna Hazare…

1. I don’t have strong political opinions and am completely uninformed, and I even skipped most of the news on Anna Hazare until recently. But after everything I’ve seen lately, I think even if his demands are “unrealistic”, or his ways (fast unto death is essentially black-mail, are we supposed to assume everybody can get anything done by doing fast unto death?), I still think his bill should go through. A lot of good it would do for the country. Is there any other way of getting a corrupt parliament to sign their own death sentence for their crimes?

• Anshul says:

I am afraid that bill is another disaster waiting to happen. I think I should write a post about that too. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. If you create an unelected body with broad oversight over legislature, executive and judiciary, you destroy democracy in the process. Democracy works through separation of powers and checks and balances. That is not a trivial principle that can be brushed aside lightly. The govt Lokpal is ineffective, the Hazare version will lead to ruin.

2. Sunil Rana says:

Just as not every body voted for the person you have voted, Anna is also not representing those people who are not in their support. In fact Anna alone doesn’t mean anything without the people standing in his support. I disagree with the concept that all a citizen need to do is vote and wait for other five years to vote. A change is more sustainable if it is sought by the people who the change it for. This movement is not against democracy but empowering democracy.

• Anshul says:

Anna Hazare is not an elected representative of our people. There is a lot of ground between not doing anything and trying to subvert democracy and dictate what our elected representatives should do.

I was with him till it was a movement against corruption. Right now, it’s a movement that is accidentally destroying the fundamentals of the Indian representative democracy.

• Atul says:

this is not the way of empowering democracy. this is simply blackmailing…wait!!! we will have many more black mailers …

3. Prakash Chandrasekaran says:

Well, he is using the same methods that was used against the previous imperialist colonial government that this present one replaced. One should note that the present elected government behaves almost like an imperialist monarch and of course, uses the same laws written down by the erstwhile colonial ruler.

I think in 1947, it was only the Indian “leaders” who got freedom — to rule –, and nothing much changed for the common man. Well, the new ones were more compassionate probably. But, still people are really ‘free’. And, certainly there is no Liberty.

• Anshul says:

That is rhetoric. A lot has changed for the common man. This is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. It is not “another imperialistic regime” or anything like one. It is about as far from an oppressive unelected regime as anything. It has been elected in a legitimate and free and fair election.

4. Sucharit Sarkar says:

It is about being free, free as in “free software”, not free as in “free India”. Anna should be free to oppose Indian govt, ASK should be free to oppose Anna, and I should be free to stay apathetic.

5. shane says:

“Why are people who don’t represent me trying to get in the way of how I am being governed? ”

because the people you elected with your precious vote are not supporting it although all the ones who voted for them are .s

• Anshul says:

I am unhappy with what Anna Hazare is doing but I can’t even vote against him. He is not accountable to us in any way. He is not our representative.

At least our elected representatives are accountable to us. If we don’t like what they did, we can change our vote and they do really care about that. Anna Hazare should not get to dictate how we be governed.

• Kunal says:

If you go by the books, what Anna is doing is wrong and everybody can see that. You just need to understand how the government plays the elections and how corrupt the system is to realise that this is the best way or if i may say the only way that can bring about a major change. Even if you don’t agree with the ways, you have to agree that Anna has united the country’s anti-corruption movement. From here onwards atleast the people have a leader and a voice. And if you do not agree with Anna and have some other way you think is better to eradicate corruption then go ahead and do it. I will support you in that as well if i find it acceptable.

6. Aneesha says:

Yeah, you’re right. The leaders we elected might have squandered away the taxpayer’s money after we elected them, but we must keep supporting them as a matter of principal. Why should we concerned about money being looted in name of Commonwealth Games or Telecom Spectrum auction, as long as the looters are people elected by us? These Anna supporters are such fools, lol.

• Anshul says:

No we should bring the guilty to the books and jail them and we are doing precisely that. A Lokpal will not solve corruption.

• Azad says:

Than what n who gonna solve the problem? The Italians ? Who have more than 1/4 of the black money in the swiss bank? Or Rahul gandhi or i can say Raul Vinci the one who is not entirely Indian. Living on a Italian passport. and fail to score passing marks During Gradation. This Anna hazare is the same person who gave RTI to maharashta n with effect of that 6 MP suspended and few Govt Officer sent to jail. Man i also vote for the same Party but seriously NOW I WANT MY VOTE BACK… n here is answer to some of ur Questions..

1. Anna’s fast amount to blackmail?

When a government repeatedly ignores peaceful appeals for positive change, how should the frustration of people be expressed (short of taking up violence)? Fasting is a peaceful method of putting one’s self in jeopardy in order to bring attention of the powers that be.

Even as per the book definition, “blackmail” applies to the use of extortion or threats of causing harm in order to obtain material benefits for self. Anna threatened no one. He demanded nothing for himself.

2. Isn’t there is a danger that others will copy the same methods?

Replicating success simply by copying the fast may be difficult, because the power of fasting comes from the integrity of the satyagrahi, and the popularity of the cause. If Anna sits for a fast demanding that everybody in his village be made rich, there won’t be people fasting with him in dozens of towns and cities and nobody will even ask him to stop the fast.

Gandhi had also said everyone should fast for self purification, which leads to the achievement of goals.

Regard…..

• Atul says:

they are not fools but are being fooled by a group of persons trying to destabilize the government . you should not forget that during this governance only, power holders have been booked in jails….why should Anna not support the ongoing process ….???

• Atul says:

@AZAD..
        that is the main problem..Some particular persons and a party is being blamed for this whole picture.
        this shows from where you get your voice.
        why do’nt you analyse your own behavior. how sincerely do you perform your duties and how sincerely you follow civic rules???every corrupt person is trying to vent out his political frustration by such sarcastic comments on the name of anti corruption movement.
        shame on you people.

• Saumnya says:

Are u mad..?? den india wil becum.. i dnt wana think bout it…ur jsz a bamboozler & a big whore… u dont care bout d country….

7. S says:

None of your criticism is specific to Anna Hazare: his are the same Gandhian methods that have been part of India since before Independence. So your argument is really that Gandhian methods have no place in a democracy. (Right?) Ambedkar had famously made essentially the same remarks. (His speech on completion of the constitution is worth reading.)

Which raises the question: what is the right method of protest in a democracy? If a large number of people feel that the democratic process is failing to serve their interests — the choices available to them at the elections do not cover the outcomes they need — how can they express their displeasure? Short of violence, overthrowing democracy, etc.

Come to think of it, doesn’t your criticism really apply to all forms of protests — marching on the roads, stopping trains, whatever: everything is a derailment of the normal governance process; everyone who takes to the streets is “people who don’t represent me trying to get in the way of how I am being governed”.

My guess at the real answer to “Why I don’t like Anna Hazare” — you don’t like him because everyone around you is going ballyhoo about him, and this irks you. :P

8. Kunal says:

I agree with what you have written. But here are a few points to think about.

What makes you think that the person that you have voted will represent you. In an ideal world he should, but this is India. Why don’t you try calling your local Congress representative if you vote for Congress and ask him to support the Lokpal bill and see his reaction.

If you know how elections are run in rural areas of India…you won’t have a lot of faith in our politicians and parliament.

Only such pressure will have any realistic outcome. Your method works in countries like Australia…in India …i wish but not any time soon.

• Kunal says:

and btw with somewhat similar tactic Anna Hazare got you the Right to Information Act. Do you think the RTI has been helpful in the past 5 years ?. Do you think the RTI act would be that strong today if you had left it to the politicians ?

• Prach says:

Aruna Roy had more to do with passing the framing and passing the RTI act than Anna. And just google what Aruna Roy has to say about the Anna Hazare movement.

The Jan Lokpal Bill is mostly good and agree that it should be presented,debated and passed by the Parliment albiet with some changes. But I think the method used by the Anna Hazare camp is simply disturbing and wrong.

9. Prach says:

I wholeheartedly agree with you Ansul. Unfortunately in this hype and passion of “revolutionary movement” any dissenting voice is seen as anti-India. The bill I feel is mostly right but the method and way to bring about it is wrong. I wish the general populace would first think about the implications of the methods use to bring about this Jan Lokbill.

My views are nicely summed up by this post by an user on an online forum :

“This discussion is about the meaning of a representative democracy and why the supporters of “team anna” think they have a right to circumvent the present system of governance. Now i do not like the government and i think the way the parliamentary system is set up can use tweaking, BUT it is the system in place. and don’t give me the “will of the people” crap, Representative democracy is pricesly set up to deter from the tyranny of the majority. Right now the parliament is being held hostage by someone you like and for something you agree in. Later the will of the majority could go against your beliefs then what? If you want to get rid of representative democracy then agitate for that. do not agitate for your particular flavor of the month circumventing the rules.

now if the lokpal gets passed in the parliment as it is, i have no problem with that, I disagree with majority of laws passed anyways, but to say you will hold the parliament hostage till your set of rules are passed is bullshit.”

10. Gauri says:

“Why I don’t like Anna Hazare”

This is a democratic country. Just as you are free to talk your mind and say that you don’t like Anna , I do have every right to think that something is terribly wrong with you and your thoughts about Anna and his crusade.

Jai Ho!

• Atul says:

it has become fashion to curse the system and join the anti government campaign…..no Anna can change your corrupt behavior . it’s u who can abolish corruption inside you…
      persons not performing their own duties are most active in supporting this campaign ..be it in offices or in social life…..

11. Kroswami says:

I dun like anna hazare cause he is taking all the attention away from me.

12. pooja says:

Anna who is fighting against corruption in public eyes is an inventor of a big political game through which he had kept unjustified demands which went unquestioned by public.

He demanded in the Lokpal bill that the officials who will be responsible for handing corruption cases should be given police rights so that they can arrest any one and at any time.

Only if one can imagine what it could lead to, if Government agreed to this, people sitting peacefully at home, with no dirt on their hands, can suddenly be caught for no reason and will be put in jail by Anna (in case he doesn’t like You ). The period given for the verdict resolution is only 2 years which is definitely not enough for an innocent to free himself of guilty before court in India.

So if one has given even a 100 rupee note in bribe by mistake, get ready for an imprisonment of 10 years. Yes, the minimum is 10 years. Your whole life will turn into a black hole.

I am not saying this will happen but by agreeing to his demands, Government will pass him enough rights to so this to any one in the country. So what you need to do if this happens? Well, speak out………”HAIL ANNA!”

…And sleep peacefully

Right to speech, yes it is a part of our constitution but when Arundati Roy spoke against Anna, public responded with something unexpected “She is a bitch, she should be raped!”

What a response! Of course they also have the right to speak but are they not aware that under our constitution, we are not allowed to insult anyone in public? We are not supposed to use abusive language?

Some of you reading this may be thinking that I am against Anna, may be I am favouring some political party but I have already made it clear that I was apolitical but as a human I have views, I support right and hate wrong doings.

Now looking at the Government, never ending of corruption, more than 30% of them above 70 years of age, can we expect any change?

Once there used to be king rule where one family ruled over the entire regime and the crown was passed on to their successors. Now we say that we have a democratic government chosen by people but is it really that way?

Look at our political structure:

Congress…began with Nehru Gandhi…followed by Indira then Rajeev than Sonia than Rahul………and it will go on forever , and we all know this is not the only family.

The same genes, the same values are carried by their children and their children taken from their corrupt ancestors, how can we expect any change in Indian regulation?

The only solution is to break this trend, to not have the same family keep ruling. Any politician who have been a minister or MLA should not be followed by his or her children, only new people with different belief system, different background should follow the regime. This is the only way out.